Community outraged after a SWAT standoff leaves a teen dead and a home destroyed

Resident says police ‘let him die, and burn’

By: - July 8, 2022 3:38 pm

Anti-police violence demonstrators walk along Zuni in southeast Albuquerque on Thursday, July 7, 2022. (Photo by Marisa Demarco / Source NM)

Demonstrators marched in Albuquerque’s International District Thursday night to protest police violence after an hourslong SWAT standoff ended in a home burning down and the death of a teen who was inside.

“That young man lost his life … because the police did not stop and think about what they were doing,” said Sundra Coleman, who lived in the house. “That was somebody’s son.”

Sundra Coleman lost her home after a SWAT standoff that began on Wednesday, July 6, 2022, in Albuquerque’s International District. (Photo by Marisa Demarco / Source NM)

Protesters and initial news reports said the boy was 14 years old. Police have since said they aren’t certain of his age and haven’t yet identified him.

UPDATE: Monday, July 11, 2022

The teenager has been identified by police as 15-year-old Brett Rosenau. His family is asking for help with his funeral expenses.

APD announced Sunday that he died from smoke inhalation. Look for more Source coverage soon.

But the family who lost their home are keeping him in their minds. “Remember him,” Coleman told protesters.

Police said they don’t know the cause of the boy’s death, though information from the Office of the Medical Investigator is expected soon.

“What happened from the get-go was unacceptable,” said another resident of the house, Deja, holding her toddler in one arm and gripping a mic with her other hand. “I don’t have nowhere to go now, and I don’t know where my son is going to live. I don’t know where my mom is going to live.” 

Her mom worked two jobs all her life, Deja said, to raise her. When the house burned down, “they took everything,” she said.

The family was telling police a 14-year-old boy was still in the house, she said, “and they let him die, and burn.” 

Deja (center) talks about what it means to her family to lose their home after it burned down during a SWAT standoff in southeast Albuquerque. (Photo by Marisa Demarco / Source NM)

On Wednesday, officers were following Qiaunt Kelley, who had a warrant out for parole violations.

Kelley and the teen went to the house where a friend lived, according to police, and when detectives tried to arrest Kelley, he ran inside. Then SWAT was called in, Police Chief Harold Medina explained Thursday.

Copwatchers and other observers there that night attended the demonstration and said munitions SWAT officers shot into the home started the fire.

“Different types of munitions were used,” Medina said. “It is unknown exactly where in the home the individual was.”

The Albuquerque Police Department and city’s fire department said they’re investigating whether tear gas and pepper spray canisters ignited the fire — such weapons have done so when used in similar SWAT situations elsewhere.

“At the end of the day,” said Coleman’s niece before the march began, officers are “going home to their home, and my Aunty Sundra’s not going to a home.” She pointed to other relatives. “She’s not going to a home. He’s not going to a home.” 

It’s unclear who gave orders preventing Albuquerque Fire Rescue from extinguishing the fire more quickly or saving the person inside. “It took time for us to turn off the fire,” Medina said. “We have to remember that the fire department, they are not police officers… It is a challenge for us to get them into an unresolved situation.”

Police cars followed the demonstrators and police vehicles sat with lights flashing on every sidestreet as the march made its way through Albuquerque’s International District, while protesters shouted for them to leave their neighborhood. (Photo by Marisa Demarco / Source NM)

According to a fire department news release, firefighters had to battle the flames from outside the house “in coordination with APD” because Kelley was still inside.

When Kelley came out, fire crews went inside and found the teen dead, according to the news release.

Demonstrators said the teen was brought out of the burned house and laid in the street while people demanded he be given some dignity.

“A 14-year-old Black man — Black child — a child,” Clifton White corrected himself standing in the intersection of Central and Wyoming as night fell and the protest wound down, police lights flashing behind him. “They didn’t know who he was. He could have been a 9-year-old. They didn’t care. They used their toys. They burned a house down.”


Chief Medina said at a news conference Thursday, July 7, that Kelley had two warrants out for his arrest, one federal and one state. Later at the same conference, a lieutenant said Kelley had one for “unlawful taking of a vehicle out of the city of Santa Fe” and one for a probation violation. He said the warrants were found in the National Crime Information Center, an internal police database.

Source New Mexico asked APD for copies of the warrants but never received them.

It turns out there was no federal warrant for Kelley, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office, though this information was widely reported in news coverage over the last week. Instead, Kelley only had a warrant for parole violations at the time, and APD said officers wanted to question him about other crimes. APD spokesperson Gilbert Gallegos said Tuesday, July 12, that he was mistaken about the federal warrant.

This story was updated on Tuesday, July 12, at 5:40 p.m. to reflect the correct information.

Clifton White’s name became part of a BLM protest chant two years ago when he was arrested and jailed following another demonstration in southeast Albuquerque. White speaks as Thursday’s protest concludes back where it began at Wyoming and Central. (Photo by Marisa Demarco / Source NM)

Demonstrators march up Central protesting police violence on Thursday, July 7, 2022, after a SWAT standoff the night before ended in a home burned down and a the death of a teen who was inside. (Photo by Marisa Demarco / Source NM)

People protest police violence in the International District on Thursday, July 7, 2022. (Photo by Marisa Demarco / Source NM)

Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site.

Marisa Demarco
Marisa Demarco

Marisa Demarco is an Albuquerque-based journalist and lifelong New Mexican whose work has won national and regional awards. She's spent almost two decades as a reporter, producer and newsroom leader, co-founding the New Mexico Compass, and editing and writing for the Weekly Alibi, the Albuquerque Tribune and UNM's Daily Lobo. She began a career in radio full-time at KUNM News in late 2013 and covered public health and criminal legal reform for much of the last seven years. During the pandemic, she was also the executive producer for “Your NM Gov” and “No More Normal,” shows focused on the varied impacts of COVID-19 and community response, as well as racial and social justice.