New Mexico begins issuing rebate checks — here’s how to get the money even if you don’t file taxes

By: - May 20, 2022 12:14 pm

A child dances during a tour inside the Roundhouse on Dec. 8. (Photo by Austin Fisher / Source NM)

A state agency has released more information about how people who don’t file an income tax return can still receive up to $1,000 in economic relief payments.

The Legislature agreed earlier this year to get money back to residents to offset the rising price of gas, groceries and other essentials. The payments are $500 to single filers and $1,000 to joint-filers in two installments. The first such payment is on its way, Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham announced this week. 

There’s also a $20 million fund for those who don’t file income taxes. The state will pay those who qualify $500 or $1,000 depending on family size on a first-come, first-served basis, according to the Human Services Department. The website to apply is here

Special relief: Lawmakers approve $500 payments to New Mexicans

To qualify for the $20 million, applicants must be a New Mexico resident with a valid Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number — commonly known as an ITIN. They must also not have received a relief payment already dedicated for those who file income tax returns. 

Single individuals who apply for that money can receive $500, and households with married couples or dependents can receive $1,000. 

Those who filed income tax returns can expect the first of two payments soon. Residents will receive each rebate in the same account they used to receive a tax return or pay taxes — via direct deposit or check. Direct deposits are scheduled to arrive as soon as today, the Governor’s Office said, and checks will be sent over the next few weeks. 

Most New Mexicans can expect three rebate payments. In addition to the first relief payment, the Legislature also approved a rebate payment — $500 for married couples and $250 for single filers — expected in July. That payment, however, available only for those under certain income limits, specifically $150,000 for joint returns and $75,000 for single filers. 

If you don’t have access to your mailboxes because of the wildfires:

Folks in Chacon, Guadalupita and Rociada can get their mail at the Las Vegas Post Office. Call 1-800-ASK-USPS to have your mail forwarded.

If you’ve evacuated to the Taos area, you can call the Las Vegas Post Office to have your mail forwarded. 

People from other evacuated areas should contact their local post offices. 

Info from the Governor’s Office


Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site.

Patrick Lohmann
Patrick Lohmann

Patrick Lohmann has been a reporter since 2007, when he wrote stories for $15 apiece at a now-defunct tabloid in Gallup, his hometown. Since then, he's worked at UNM's Daily Lobo, the Albuquerque Journal and the Syracuse Post-Standard.