State to provide rent money to tenants affected by wildfires

By: - May 19, 2022 4:30 am

The Hermits Peak-Calf Canyon fire burns north of Las Vegas on Saturday, April 23, 2022. (Photo by Patrick Lohmann / Source New Mexico)

A state agency announced Wednesday that it would provide up to three months of rent and hotel stays for those who lose their rented homes or apartments in ongoing wildfires in New Mexico.

The Department of Finance and Administration said tenants who lost their housing due to the fires should apply for assistance on the DFA website. They’ll receive priority for temporary housing placement. People should be sure to provide contact information so that a staff member can call back to assist. 

Maximum income for households of four to receive the housing assistance: 

  • Colfax County: $43,900
  • Lincoln County: $47,200
  • Mora County: $43,900
  • Sandoval County: $55,300
  • San Miguel County: $43,900
  • Valencia County: $55,300

Only those who earn less than 80% of the average median income for each county can receive the money, which will pay up to three months of future rent for a tenant and for temporary hotel/motel stays. And the funding is only available for renters whose housing was destroyed by wildfires. 

Other options for people who were affected by the wildfires can be found here: 

Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management

Federal Emergency Management Agency 

Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site.

Patrick Lohmann
Patrick Lohmann

Patrick Lohmann has been a reporter since 2007, when he wrote stories for $15 apiece at a now-defunct tabloid in Gallup, his hometown. Since then, he's worked at UNM's Daily Lobo, the Albuquerque Journal and the Syracuse Post-Standard.